Atlanta, GA – August 3, 2021 – Cardlytics, Inc. (NASDAQ: CDLX), a digital advertising platform, today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2021. Supplemental information is available on the Investor Relations section of the Cardlytics’ website at http://ir.cardlytics.com/.
“While we grew Cardlytics platform billings 111% and adjusted contribution 123% year-over-year, we fell below our guidance. This was driven by us forecasting a faster recovery than was realized due to labor shortage and supply chain challenges in retail, restaurant and travel,” said Lynne Laube, CEO & Co-Founder of Cardlytics. “Our core business remains on a very solid foundation and we continue to make significant progress on all of our strategic initiatives, including the integration of Dosh and Bridg.”
“We believe we will still be dealing with an uneven recovery in Q3 as each industry we operate in is still working through unique macroeconomic challenges,” said Andy Christiansen, CFO of Cardlytics. “We remain very excited about the long-term potential of Cardlytics and continue to make immense progress on our product and technology initiatives.”
Second Quarter 2021 Financial Results
- Revenue was $58.9 million, an increase of 109% year-over-year, compared to $28.2 million in the second quarter of 2020.
- Billings, a non-GAAP metric, was $85.3 million, an increase of 116% year-over-year, compared to $39.5 million in the second quarter of 2020.
- Gross profit was $23.2 million, an increase of 193% year-over-year, compared to $7.9 million in the second quarter of 2020.
- Adjusted contribution, a non-GAAP metric, was $29.6 million, an increase of 139% year-over-year, compared to $12.4 million in the second quarter of 2020.
- Net loss attributable to common stockholders was $(47.3) million, or $(1.43) per diluted share, based on 33.0 million weighted-average common shares outstanding, compared to a net loss attributable to common stockholders of $(19.8) million, or $(0.73) per diluted share, based on 27.1 million weighted-average common shares outstanding in the second quarter of 2020.
- Non-GAAP net loss was $(12.8) million, or $(0.39) per diluted share, based on 33.0 million weighted-average common shares outstanding, compared to a non-GAAP net loss of $(10.2) million, or $(0.38) per diluted share, based on 27.1 million weighted-average common shares outstanding in the second quarter of 2020.
- Adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP metric, was a loss of $(5.7) million compared to a loss of $(7.7) million in the second quarter of 2020.
- Cardlytics MAUs were 167.6 million, an increase of 7%, compared to 157.2 million in the second quarter of 2020.
- Cardlytics ARPU was $0.34, an increase of 89%, compared to $0.18 in the second quarter of 2020.
- Bridg ARR was $12.5 million in the second quarter of 2021.
Definitions of MAUs, ARPU and ARR are included below under the caption “Non-GAAP Measures and Other Performance Metrics.”
Third Quarter 2021 Financial Expectations
Cardlytics anticipates billings, revenue, and adjusted contribution to be in the following ranges (in millions):
|Q3 2021 Guidance|
|Billings(1)||$85.0 – $95.0|
|Revenue||$57.0 – $66.0|
|Adjusted contribution(2)||$27.0 – $32.0|
- A reconciliation of billings to GAAP revenue on a forward-looking basis is presented below under the heading “Reconciliation of Forecasted GAAP Revenue to Billings.”
- A reconciliation of adjusted contribution to GAAP gross profit on a forward-looking basis is not available without unreasonable efforts due to the high variability, complexity and low visibility with respect to the items excluded from this non-GAAP measure.
Earnings Teleconference Information
Cardlytics will discuss its second quarter 2021 financial results during a teleconference today, August 3, 2021, at 5:00 PM ET / 2:00 PM PT. The conference call can be accessed at (866) 385-4179 (domestic) or (210) 874-7775 (international), conference ID# 3993796. A replay of the conference call will be available through 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT on August 10, 2021 at (855) 859-2056 (domestic) or (404) 537-3406 (international). The replay passcode is 3993796. The call will also be broadcast simultaneously at http://ir.cardlytics.com/. Following the completion of the call, a recorded replay of the webcast will be available on Cardlytics’ website.
Cardlytics (NASDAQ: CDLX) is a digital advertising platform. We partner with financial institutions to run their banking rewards programs that promote customer loyalty and deepen banking relationships. In turn, we have a secure view into where and when consumers are spending their money. We use these insights to help marketers identify, reach, and influence likely buyers at scale, as well as measure the true sales impact of marketing campaigns. Headquartered in Atlanta, we have offices in London, New York, San Francisco, Austin and Visakhapatnam. In March 2021, we acquired Dosh, a transaction-based advertising platform, and in May 2021 we acquired Bridg, a customer data platform. Learn more at www.cardlytics.com.